A Star-Herald special tribute section featuring stories of men and women who have served our nation.
Honoring Our Veterans
Veterans Photo Galleries
SCOTTSBLUFF — It didn’t take long after high school for Morrill native Lynn Lucus to decide to go full time into the U.S. Army in 1987.
MITCHELL — The war was over when Paul Christian joined the Army.
MINATARE — One day while on patrol in Sarajevo, Valerie Baker met a boy grazing his horse. His mother had tied a rope to the horse and around the boy’s arms. Land mines threatened everyone, including a horse that might wander into the fields. Baker remembered the joy horses always provided l…
GERING — The mid-1960s were a contentious time for America as citizens debated, protested, and sometimes took action in support or opposition to the Vietnam War. It was something that seemed to be far distant from the Scottsbluff-Gering community.
ALLIANCE — Corporal Wallace Kirchhoff served in the Korean War from January of 1952 to December of 1953.
Donavon Pfenning was drafted into the United States Army in 1952 at the height of the Korean war.
GERING — When Minatare graduate Ruben Magdaleno was sent to Vietnam in 1965, it was like being in a different world. His devotion to serving his country later became a reason for two of his grandsons to follow in his military footsteps.
More stories honoring those who served
- The Latest: G-7: France urges US to back hate speech pledge
- India's Modi awarded UAE medal amid Kashmir crackdown
- Russian capsule carrying robot fails space station docking
- Spanish ex-monarch Juan Carlos I to undergo heart operation
- Austria prepares to repatriate IS supporter's children
- North Macedonia van crash kills migrant; 12 others injured
- Corruption trial continues for Sudan's ex-president
- The Latest: Hong Kong police fire tear gas at protesters