A Star-Herald special tribute section featuring stories of men and women who have served our nation.
Honoring Our Veterans
Veterans Photo Galleries
SCOTTSBLUFF — It didn’t take long after high school for Morrill native Lynn Lucus to decide to go full time into the U.S. Army in 1987.
MITCHELL — The war was over when Paul Christian joined the Army.
MINATARE — One day while on patrol in Sarajevo, Valerie Baker met a boy grazing his horse. His mother had tied a rope to the horse and around the boy’s arms. Land mines threatened everyone, including a horse that might wander into the fields. Baker remembered the joy horses always provided l…
GERING — The mid-1960s were a contentious time for America as citizens debated, protested, and sometimes took action in support or opposition to the Vietnam War. It was something that seemed to be far distant from the Scottsbluff-Gering community.
ALLIANCE — Corporal Wallace Kirchhoff served in the Korean War from January of 1952 to December of 1953.
Donavon Pfenning was drafted into the United States Army in 1952 at the height of the Korean war.
GERING — When Minatare graduate Ruben Magdaleno was sent to Vietnam in 1965, it was like being in a different world. His devotion to serving his country later became a reason for two of his grandsons to follow in his military footsteps.
More stories honoring those who served
- Trump signs student debt forgiveness for disabled veterans
- Trump's fake accent angers Asian Americans as they veer left
- Atlanta college students fear for safety day after 4 shot
- LA Wildcats, DC Defenders among teams in new XFL
- Reported illnesses among vapers reaches 150 possible cases
- Lawyer: Female Philly officers who sued will be protected
- Trump moves to end limits on detention of migrant children
- Must West Virginia governor live in capital? Suit continues